Well, our second poll has concluded and the results are out! "My Own Neighbourhood" seems to be the favourite hangout of Singaporeans. After all, who wouldn't feel at ease with the all familiar place they've lived in for so many years? Home sweet home.

Yes, I suppose it's great to have "happening" places like Orchard Road, Suntec City and Sentosa or places to chill out like East Coast Parkway. We could even have Disney Land in Singapore and I think many will still feel that their neighbourhood is their favourite hangout. There are certain indelible sentiments attached to the neighbourhood we live in where there are the familiar things that we're so comfortable and pleased with every day. The neighbourhood's a little microcosm of the place we call home - Singapore.

However, there are many things, familiar things, that we see and overlook rather often in our neighbourhood and at home. These things can actually mean a lot and if we were to appreciate them, they would make daily life much more meaningful and fulfiling. Here's an account of a normal day spent in the neighbourhood and at home, seen and experienced in a different light.

My trusty alarm clock rings. To stop its incessant beeping, I reach out to turn it off. I know it’s the start of another day as I sluggishly get myself out of bed. It’s my day off from work and I’ve got time to relax today.


I go down for breakfast after washing up. From the window I notice a bird’s nest nicely nestled among the branches of a tree outside. A mother bird spending some time with her offspring. Very affectionate. A heartening sight.

Anyway, my mum has made breakfast-some crispy warm toast. The toast is simple but well done, and it kinda made my morning. It’s a halcyon morning where you don’t feel like doing much but to sit back and relax. It then occurs to me that such peace and tranquility are actually available to us many a times. Don’t we have simple meals like breakfast everyday? Strangely, it only seems new and refreshing today. These all familiar things I’ve seen so many times now seem new and enriching somehow. Familiar new things.

I feel sated and I proceed with my “First Parade Task” of the day-turning on the computer to check for updates. I browse through Facebook, accept some friend requests and I’m soon doodling away. The birds in the nest outside are dawdling their time away staring into blank space whilst giving some occasional tweets.

Before long, it’s lunch time and I switch off the computer. I return to my room to change into some clothes that are more presentable. Grab my phone and wallet and I’m out of the house. A cursory glance at that familiar tree revealed that the mother bird has left the nest. Curious.

The SBS bus of 3 colours stops outside my house and I get on to scan my Ezy-link card, how convenient, haha. Soon, I alight from the bus and meet my group of affable friends who happen to be free too. Greetings and “What have you been doing?” questions are exchanged. We settle down at the snug coffee shop at the corner of the estate. Despite having to bear the heat of the torrid sun, we decide to have some burning-hot laksa, mmm my favourite. It’s delicious, spicy and luscious. Gastronomical delights for the tired soul, haha.

I seem to be enjoying myself, indulging in the meal and chatting with my friends. That thought strikes me again. We’re often able to enjoy good food and company but overlook these things. These all familiar things I’ve seen so many times now seem new and enriching somehow. Familiar new things.

Lunch is over and we make our way back home. The sun's heat has abated and I take a slow saunter through my estate while savouring an ice-cream I bought from the well-known convenience store, 7-11. It’s gratifying to find that our roads and walkways are considerably clean. Well, not spick-and-span but clean enough to feel comfortable with. I like the pretty little shrubs they have assiduously planted along the road. I realise that this somehow brings out the life and vigour of the estate amidst the sporadic barks of the neighbourhood dogs. I’ve walked this route a thousand times. Familiar new things it seems.

I arrive at the park that I’ve frequented ever since I was a toddler. This place has been through some changes but it’s still the same to me. The large open field is still there. Some French expatriate family is having a picnic in the field. A cosy little family.

I return home and my brother’s loud pop music resonates in my ears. I get back to my indispensible device and resume surfing the net. I peer out of the window. Hmmm, the young birds are taking their forty winks.

My instrument of time-killing has done well. It’s gloaming and the sun is setting. I can hear my mum calling us down for the most important meal of the day. She has made her specialty dish, spaghetti. We dig in together and have an enjoyable meal. Those were warm moments. I don’t have much on my mind. I’m just glad that I’ve much to appreciate. These all familiar things I’ve seen so many times now seem new and enriching somehow. Familiar new things.

With a full stomach, I return to my room. Ahhh, outside in the animal world, the mother bird has brought back food for her kids. Birds in Singapore are lucky, they get to eat good food like us.

Well, a simple day has passed just like that. But feeling fulfilled at the end of the day is what’s most important. Ever wondered how those countryside farmers go by each day of their lives? Unlike us, they don’t have a wide variety of entertainment sources at their disposal. I suppose it’s all about taking a step back to appreciate the quintessential facets of our daily lives that we tend to overlook.
In Singapore, how often do we find ourselves rushing here and there? Is there really the need sometimes? We are blessed with many things. I’ve read that if you have food in the refrigerator, clothes to wear, and a roof over your head, you are better off than 75 percent of the people in the world. What more, Singapore has offered us much to enjoy and appreciate. I needn’t state them all. Thus if we were to have a change in mindset, we might just realise that the many all familiar things we’ve seen so many times before, can actually be new and enriching somehow. Familiar new things. You don’t have to take a day off from work to discover this.

5 comments:

I love my neighbourhood!!!:)

July 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

hmmm, really insightful...kinda revealing

July 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Yea, there's no place like home!

July 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

Yup, we all ought to reflect on the many little things in life we tend to overlook and to appreciate them.

July 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

i guess so, familiar new things

July 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home